Thank you all for a fantastic day on Friday.  Once again, the day showcased everything that is special about the compassion and generosity that surrounds the people involved with this event and the Raj K Soni Legacy Fund itself.  It looks like we will raise about the same amount as last year (£13,500) and the sheer volume of people who attended (500+) and the atmosphere that was generated would have made little Raj smile.

From this annual community festival, 90% of all proceeds will be applied to the 2015 grants process that will start in September, with the remaining 10% donated to the Portishead Community Foundation

Many thanks to Andy at the Rock Project for two inspiring sets; to Mike for Venga’s amazing paella; to young Jasmine Williams who kept youngsters occupied with her Games stall and to Andy, Barbara and James and the pool staff for their tireless support in making this all work so well.  There are lots of other unsung heroes but you know who you are and hopefully you will remember how you helped make this year just a little bit more special from your involvement – many, many thanks to all of you.

One of the highlights of the day was the much-anticipated relay race between a team of ex-Olympians and international swimmers who lined up alongside the supremely talented United Bristol Swim Club.  It was a close run thing but UBSC won in the end and PacTri came a creditable third.

We are so proud that you all want to be part of the Legacy Fund that acts both as a celebration of Rajs’ life and as a very tangible legacy for inspiring local children through sport and music initiatives.

With love and thanks to all of you for your continued generosity.

Main stats from Friday were:

Nos of swimmers – 409

Nos of total attendees – difficult to be precise but >500

Lengths swum – 7,669

Yards swum – 281,164

Miles swum – 159.8

Channel crossings equivalent – 7.6

The international swimmers at this year’s Swim were:

Andy Clayton - Olympian 1996 & 2000, Olympic finalist, European Champion, British Champion;

Bartek Karpisz- World Junior Fin champion and World Fin record holder;

Jez Birds – National Champion, GB senior International, World Cup Circuit;

Paul Belk – Sydney 2000 Olympian and former World & European medallist;

Simon Handley – World finalist, European silver medalist, British Champion.

And BIG thanks to the following who donated prizes and all sorts of things to help make the day such a success:

  • Venga Restaurant, Portishead
  • R.S Wines Bristol for wine, beer & drinks
  • Jon Thorners for the burgers and the hot dogs
  • Blast Hire for the loan of the barbeques & Chris Payne for the Gas
  • Clifton Lido, Bristol
  • Artemis Designer Jewelry & Gifts, Bristol
  • Bells Diner Bar & Kitchen, Bristol
  • Gordano Leisure Centre
  • Gordano School
  • Ashton Park School
  • Broad Street Hair
  • Heaven on the Hill
  • Hub Gym
  • Louise Rogers
  • M & Co
  • The Play Port
  • Waitrose, Portishead
  • Sainsbury’s Portishead
  • Tinca Gallery
  • And BIG love and special thanks to Tom & Angie Williams who have done more than anyone can possibly imagine to make this day happen.